Dark Chocolate Mud Cake – By Kerrie Wyer for Rosie Cake-Diva
We ALL want a fail-safe recipe that proves to be a winner. No one wants to spend hours in the kitchen only to end up with a mediocre cake.
That’s why it’s a pleasure to bring you some firm favourites, like this chocolate scrumptiousness from Kerrie Wyer of Viva La Buttercream. Yes… Kerrie is a whizz with the buttercream, but what use is buttercream without the cake?
Here is her favourite chocolate offering.
Makes 2 of 6″x 4″ cakes
- Preheat your oven to 150℃ (300℉) for Conventional Ovens. Fan forced and convection oven heats may vary.
- Combine Dark Chocolate and oil, and melt slowly either in the microwave, or over a double boiler.
- Add dry ingredients to your mixer bowl, and mix through. This stops the sugar from clumping at the bottom (because Dark Brown Sugar is quite sticky).
- Add Eggs, milk, and butter, and mix on medium speed until combined.
- On low speed, slowly add chocolate mixture, and then mix on medium until combined.
- Bake for about 1 1/2 hours, but the key with mudcakes is too bake them on a low temperature, so they don’t rise, and keep that delicious fudgy texture, so adjust as necessary.
Mudcakes last REALLY well. This cake will keep well wrapped/air tight, for at least a week in or out of the fridge. If you have PERISHABLE fillings, you MUST store your cakes in the fridge.
Basic Buttercream lasts as well as Mudcake, so you could easily make your cake on the Monday, and store it airtight in the fridge for Saturday. I say airtight, because while it won’t spoil quickly, its still cake, so it WILL dry out given the chance!
If you have a go, let us know your thoughts. We’d love your feedback.