On my first visit to James Martin’s Saturday Morning Show on ITV I was tasked with creating a special desert table for his 100th show. A biscuit stack cake was a great way to personalise the offering; a combination of sable biscuit and buttercream with a pretty display of toppings.
I’ve got the recipes here for you and don’t forget that I have other buttercream recipes on my blog and on my YouTube Channel; take your pick!
This simple yet beautiful dessert takes a simple Sable recipe and creates a stunning arrangement; easy to make and perfect for tearing and sharing.
Ingredients: For the Sable Biscuit 200g plain flour 100g icing sugar 150g butter Pinch of salt 2 egg yolks
For the Buttercream 500g Butter 1kg Icing Sugar 1 tsp vanilla extract Water or milk to adjust consistency Red/Pink food colouring gel
For the Biscuit
- Preheat the oven to 180C (160C for fan assisted) or Gas Mark 4
- Draw out your heart shapes onto baking paper and cut out to use as a template.
- Put the flour, icing sugar and butter into a food processor and mix together.
- Add the salt and egg yolks and knead to form a dough.
- Roll out the dough to about ½ cm thick and cut out the heart shaped using your template.
- Place on a non-stick baking sheet and leave a little space around the edges.
- Bake for approximately 10 minutes or until the edges are starting to brown.
- Leave to cool before assembling.
For the Buttercream
- Mix the butter and icing sugar (in a mixer if possible) on high for about 5 minutes until smooth and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and if needed, a tbsp or 2 of water or milk to improve the consistency.
- Split the Buttercream into 3 portions and use the colouring gel to create a light, medium and dark shade.
- With a piping bag and a star tip, pipe blobs of the dark shade onto one biscuit heart.
- Add the second biscuit and repeat with the medium shade and then again with the last biscuit and the light shade.
- Decorate the top layer with fruit and edible flowers for a Valentine treat fit for sharing.
You can find links to more buttercream recipes here: https://www.rosiecakediva.com/2015/simple-buttercream/